1. It was my birthday yesterday! I am now double digits again. No, not 22…ha, as if! But 33! Hence the need to post something with 33 in it
2. In my mid-late twenties, I was always slightly uncomfortable revealing my true age…because a LOT of guys used to ask me how old I was to see if I was within their “date-able range”!!! *rolls eyes* A true gentleman would never ask about a lady’s age! And damn…I didn’t marry a true gentleman because the Husband also asked how old I was on the 3rd day of knowing him. I said, “Why?” And he said, “To see if you are date-able!” But I liked his direct approach and honesty so I let it pass… And I was 29…so I was kinda desperate by then (I am joking BTW! My flirtatious single days were seriously awesome!)
3. In my opinion, “30 is the new 20″ is a stupid saying. What does that even mean anyway? And how can that even be?? Instead, I prefer the saying “You are only as old as you feel!!” Some days I wake up and feel like I’m 21 and some days I am 45. Today, I am feeling my age – 33 years and 1 day
4. My biggest makeup faux pas is…wearing clear lip gloss as eyeshadow! I wish I did that when I was 16…but I was 23 when that happened! And it was a LONG phase I went through!! I was going for the wet glistening eyeshadow look…which can be achieved with cream shimmer shadows but I thought clear lip gloss rocked on my lids. No it didn’t! It was just a gloopy mess especially at the end of the day when my mascara would melt from the gloss… Anyway…
5. A stupid Chinese beauty myth was whispered to my Mum…which she, in turn, told me to do. And I stupidly did it. And it didn’t work.
6. The stupid Chinese beauty myth was this… If you have whiffy armpits, i.e. BO, apply your own urine directly to your armpits for 10 consecutive days and it will banish the BO.
7. Yes, I applied pee to my pits!! *cringe* And guess what? I forgot to do it on the 7th day…so I had to start my 10 days all over again! I used to shower first and then at the end, pee into my cupped hand and apply directly to my armpits. It was warm, sometimes stinky…and extremely weird!
8. I hate stupid Chinese beauty myths!
9. But the only Chinese beauty myth thing that I believe in is… Never to sleep with wet or damp hair. I have done it a few times and I always get a headache the next day.
10. There is a Chinese regime thing post-pregnancy called “confinement” where one of the rules is that you cannot wash your hair or bathe for 30 days!! Needless to say, I will not be following these rules.
11. Going back to the subject of BO, I have discovered that drinking liquid chlorophyll daily works a treat!
12. However, I have had to stop the chlorophyll due to pregnancy so now I am scared when people want to hug me! People who know me in real life – you have been warned!
13. Even though I have two YouTube beauty channels – The Best Beauty Vlog and Lip Stalker – I don’t watch YouTube beauty videos…
14. …Except for Michelle Phan – I think I have watched 90% of her videos…
15. …and some of them I have watched more than once! I just like the quality and production of the video itself…and sometimes I pick up some beauty tips too
16. I do, however, read a LOT of beauty blogs. But food blogs is what I read MOST because I love a bit of food porn!
17. If money was not a problem and there was a guaranteed 100% success rate, I would definitely get cosmetic / plastic surgery for 3 problem areas…
18. On top of my list is laser eye correction because I hate wearing my heavy glasses and I can’t wear contact lenses for longer than 5 hours in Melbourne because the atmosphere is too dry.
19. And then I would want my wonky eyelids fixed. You may remember me moaning about my uneven eyelids – one is double and one is hooded. It drives me insane because I have so many pretty eyeshadows but my eyelids cannot appreciate them.
20. Lastly, like most other flat-nosed Asian girls, I would like to have a nose job to have a smaller and more refined nose with a higher bridge.
21. As for boob jobs and liposuction, I am not bothered about those procedures because I am actually pretty happy with the rest of my body even with my short stumpy legs, big calves, flabby belly and almost non-existent boobs (even though they are MUCH bigger now due to pregnancy).
22. I know most pregnant women worry about stretch marks, but I don’t really care. The main reason why I have been getting my Husband to moisturise my belly is because the skin there is very itchy from the stretching.
23. I have plenty of scars all over my body – mostly from a car accident I was in when I was 18. There are some on my face too around my left brow area. I think scars are interesting and they all have a story to tell. I will definitely share my scar stories one day…
24. I think my best feature is my smile – lips and teeth – and I also like my fingers because they are the only slender thing about me.
25. I had to take my belly button ring out in week 20 of my pregnancy as my belly bump was getting too big. When my Husband pointed out my belly button was turning into an outsie, I screamed and laughed till I cried. I was hysterical because I hadn’t seen my belly button for over 10 years so it was like a freak-ish experience!
26. The beauty products I use most often are… shampoo and conditioner, toothpaste and floss.
27. The beauty products I use once in a blue moon are… hairspray, highlighter and blotting paper.
28. I spent my first pay cheque on La Mer products! And I didn’t even use it up!
29. The most recent beauty product I have purchased is Maybelline Color Whisper in Orange Attitude.
30. My favourite beauty brand is Shu Uemura. I just love everything about Shu! They have had a recent price drop in Australia – yay! Will blog about that soon.
31. My least favourite beauty brand is…dare I say it?…Yes I do! It is MAC. But that’s simply because I have never had a great customer experience with MAC sales assistants. They are somewhat rude and it’s so off-putting. And every time I go and give it another chance, I get ignored or feel intimidated. MAC products may be fabulous…but I don’t know because I haven’t had the opportunity to browse / purchase anything I like.
32. My Husband uses my lip balms more than I use them! But he’s not metrosexual…in fact, he used to use shower gel to wash his hair and his face! Now he uses my shampoos to wash his hair, washes his face with water and shower gel for the rest of his body. He has lovely blemish-free soft skin with rosy cheeks and he doesn’t even use moisturiser or sunscreen or anything!! How???
33. I thought about quitting beauty blogging recently… Sometimes, I simply have no time and energy… Sometimes it feels overwhelming… Sometimes I just can’t be bothered… Sometimes the beauty blogosphere gets me down, i.e. bitching, blagging… Sometimes I feel like I am not giving it my all… Sometimes I feel that it is not rewarding… Sometimes it all gets too much… But then I remember why I started beauty blogging in the first place – I love writing (blogged for over 9 years on my personal blog) and I love beauty products – and what kept me motivated throughout my 2.5 years of beauty blogging is YOU! Thanks for reading! I don’t say it enough but I am truly grateful for everyone who reads my beauty blog. THANK YOU!!