A Random Rant Of A Glasses-Wearer With Nose Dents

Annoying Glasses | Nose Dent | Contacts + Nose Dent | Hello Kitty Glasses

The last time I had my vision checked, my prescription was along the lines of -12.50 and -13.50, i.e. blind as a bat!  I have worn glasses since I was 9 years old and finally, in 2002, there was a breakthrough and they found a brand of contact lens for my eyesight.  Hallelujah!!  Contact lenses were great because I didn’t have to wear those heavy thick-rimmed glasses anymore.  It was a whole new world because I started wearing eye make-up and my self-confidence soared and boys started noticing me.  You could say I went from geek to chic!  I wore them for work, for the gym, for dates, for parties, for clubs…

And then I moved to Melbourne in 2010 and out came the glasses again.  Why?  (Rant alert!)  It’s the bloody annoying dry heat!!!  ARGH!!! My eyes get dry so so so easily.  I can probably only wear my contact lenses for a maximum of 5-6 hours (instead of my usual 18 hours) before they irritate the heck outta me!  No amount of eye drops help.

I wouldn’t mind wearing glasses if mine weren’t so bloody heavy that they have caused a semi-permanent dent on my already-non-existent-Asian-nose-bridge!  And before you say anything, I have the thinnest lens possible but my glasses still weigh a ton.  It’s got to the point where I am not looking for a concealer to conceal my dark circles but to conceal those dents.  ARGH!!!

I’ve been doing some internet research on laser eye surgery* because I think that’s my only option.  When I was in Hong Kong, my cousin raved about it because she had hers done and no longer needs glasses EVER!  It’s so much cheaper to get it done in Asia…  If I am eligible and I have enough savings, that’s on my to-do list next time I am back in Hong Kong.

However, my sister got a Lasik assessment and they told her that she was not eligible because of her eye shape. Oh fantastico!  We come from the same gene pool…what if I am also not eligible?  Does that mean I will forever have these stupid nose dents?

Have you had laser eye surgery?  Please share your story to help me.  And if you have a rant about anything, please share and let’s rant together :)

32 Comments on A Random Rant Of A Glasses-Wearer With Nose Dents

1. Dempeaux
    16/02/2012 at 10:30 am (3 years ago)

I have nose dents! Really need to get back into contacts. I wore contacts for 10 years and they ruined my eyes, and I’ve never gone back to them. I miss the feeling of going without glasses though!

I’ve thought about laser surgery, but I’m concerned about the effects on the eye later in life.

By the way, you are more than double my prescription! Woah!

• Ling
      16/02/2012 at 1:50 pm (3 years ago)

@Dempeaux, Contacts can ruin your eyes! Especially because I am so lazy with cleaning them…I just dunk them in the solution. The End.

Do you find that when you don’t wear your glasses, you still push them up even though you’re not wearing them? LOL, I do that!!!

And yeah, my prescription is SO BAD! I can’t even apply eye make-up when I’m wearing glasses because I can’t see without them!!!

• Ling
          16/02/2012 at 3:15 pm (3 years ago)

@Jasmine1485, I think those are for people with slightly non-20/20 vision…my eyes are WAY worse than that so I won’t be able to use it…even if magnified, I can’t see because it’s all a blur…I also have astigmatism you see…SIGHS!

2. Jasmine1485
    16/02/2012 at 10:57 am (3 years ago)

I always had 20/20 vision until fairly recently, my left eye is apparently a 19 now – I know that sounds insignificant but it’s all downhill from here, both of my parents wear glasses! :P They didn’t need them until their forties or after though so I guess that’s something to look forward to. In the meantime whenever I visit my mum I can read receipts and the back of packets for her when she forgets to bring her glasses. :)

As for a rant, ummmmm… Oh, I visited the physio yesterday and I can already feel bruises forming on my belly where they poked me :S

• Ling
      16/02/2012 at 1:50 pm (3 years ago)

@Jasmine1485, I wish I had 20/20 vision. Must be so good to have that. Sighs.

And oooh, your physio sounds brutal. What’s wrong with you, if you don’t mind me asking…?

• Jasmine1485
        16/02/2012 at 1:56 pm (3 years ago)

@Ling, I’ve had back pain for years, I’ve found out it’s partly to do with my posture (apparently I’ve been walking, sitting and standing wrong all these years, who knew?) and some of my muscles have shortened and need ‘coaxing’ to lengthen out and relax again. Oh, also apparently one of my legs is a little shorter than the other. I’m feeling a little like a gimpy hunchback at the moment :P

3. Melinda
    16/02/2012 at 11:19 am (3 years ago)

I have good eye sight BUT I always see the cutest glasses and kind of wish that I could wear them!

I am sure that it is probably a pain but use it to your advantage – it is the perfect way to spice up your outfit with a chic pair of specs :)

• Ling
      16/02/2012 at 1:52 pm (3 years ago)

@Melinda, Just get glasses with non-prescription lenses :)

And seriously, no specs make me look chic. They are so geek because of how thick the lenses are. And I also can’t apply make-up when I’m wearing glasses because I can’t see without them to apply!! Lose-lose situation. Gah!

4. Janet
    16/02/2012 at 12:18 pm (3 years ago)

I have only started wearing glasses for reading & computer work in the past few years (yes I’m over 40 LOL) but already have those darned nose dents …

• Ling
      16/02/2012 at 1:53 pm (3 years ago)

@Janet, I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 9!!! I think my nose dents are permanently etched!! *cries*

5. Ashlynn
    16/02/2012 at 2:17 pm (3 years ago)

Not sure what my prescription is, but my vision in my right eye is 20/20 and my left is 20/200. My left is not correctable at all, so the Dr. makes me choose the “closest” one to clarity, which is really the least blurry one, but they’re all blurry haha.

Anyway, I need a Doctor note every time I renew my license, and every time, the doctor makes me BUY a new pair of glasses and lenses – even though they know it won’t correct my vision. They make a lot of money out of me, especially because I don’t have insurance… so lame.

• Ling
      16/02/2012 at 3:15 pm (3 years ago)

@Ashlynn, Oh bummer! How annoying!!! I have spent a small fortune on glasses, contact lenses and contacts solution…SO ANNOYING! :(

6. coco
    16/02/2012 at 6:54 pm (3 years ago)

wow, your sight is bad! i heard that lasik is best for those around -3 to -7, but technology has improved so maybe you can be a good candidate.

i know i’ve said it so many times but i have to repeat, lasik is the best thing i’ve done in my life! it’s scary but it’s worth it. it’s so good to wake up to see a clear world.

good luck with your assessment.

• Ling
      16/02/2012 at 7:44 pm (3 years ago)

@coco, Did you get yours done in Asia or Australia? I’d love to wake up and see a clear world! That would be amazing! What side effects did you suffer from?

7. Rin
    16/02/2012 at 7:40 pm (3 years ago)

Was it because she has astigmatism? I have considered laser too but I am so freaked out by it. I have heard some horrible stories (if you read dry eye forums like I do, you’ll see them too – most dry eye seem to be caused by laser!) I think the best thing you can do is just to have a consult & see what they say. My eyes aren’t as bad as yours but it’s still annoying to have to deal with contacts & glasses. It would be a dream cone true to wake up with perfect vision! *sigh*

• Ling
      16/02/2012 at 7:45 pm (3 years ago)

@Rin, I don’t know…but I have astigmatism too! Argh!! Sucks balls! And I already have dry eyes without even being lasered yet! :(

• Rin
        16/02/2012 at 8:30 pm (3 years ago)

@Ling, yes, I have dry eyes too. You asked me what a hot compress for eyes was awhile before… I have found that it helped my eyes tremendously. I just get a clean face towel, immerse it in hot water, wring it out then just place on my eyes for 5 mins. (I also use carmellose sodium 5mg eyedrops two or three times a day) My optician says my eyes look really good because it’s no longer dry, and I am back to wearing contacts for most of the day :) If you’re lazy with contacts like I am, just buy the disposables. I hate having to muck around with solution!

• Ling
          16/02/2012 at 10:29 pm (3 years ago)

@Rin,I might try that hot compress.

BTW, can’t wear daily disposables – my eyesight is too bad GAH!

8. espenine
    17/02/2012 at 12:43 am (3 years ago)

Temporary solution that you may want to try to minimize those dents. Put a piece of tissue where the nose pads are. It also helps the glasses to remain in its place instead of slipping down. Of cos, this method works only if u are wearing glasses at home or when on one is seeing you. I have been using this tissue method for years & no dents for me. I am also blind as a bat since childhood!

• Ling
      17/02/2012 at 10:50 pm (3 years ago)

@espenine, Thanks for this useful tip. May try that or even use cotton pads to soften the blow. :)

9. ponikuta
    17/02/2012 at 3:46 pm (3 years ago)

I’ve done laser eye surgery and can recommend you my doctor in Melbourne.

Can rebate about $1.2 – $1.5k from tax return too. :)

• Ling
      17/02/2012 at 10:52 pm (3 years ago)

@ponikuta, Oh yes! It’s always good when a doctor comes recommended. Loving the rebate too :)

10. Eden-Avalon
    18/02/2012 at 9:04 am (3 years ago)

I made the mistake of watching laser eye surgery on youtube a few times. I think i’ll hold off on being as blind as you (i’m about halfway there) before considering it seriously. Oh my fellow nose-dent sister. I feel for you!

• Ling
      19/02/2012 at 11:50 pm (3 years ago)

@Eden-Avalon, Oh dear! I am definitely not going to watch those videos because it will scare me!!

11. CUrious
    02/05/2012 at 9:10 pm (3 years ago)

wow! I didn’t know you wore them even! I thought you had 20/20 vision!What brand contact lense do you use? does it annoy your eyes? Bf has around the same prescription as you and he’s 1.lazy to research good contact lenses, 2.Lasik adviser told him contact lenses for his prescription is very bad for his eyes, 3.contact lense he’s wearing now is hurting his eyes. So it would really be awesome if he could get a comfortable one and wear it more often! :D

• Ling
      03/05/2012 at 6:51 pm (3 years ago)

@CUrious, I wish I did have 20/20 vision!!!! I use Bausch & Lomb but it’s not that great. My eyes dry up really easily. :(

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on A Random Rant Of A Glasses-Wearer With Nose Dents

1. […] eyes, but I am rather reluctant because the red lights are really intense and I know I said I wanted laser eye surgery, but I am a little bit worried that these red lights may damage my nearly-blind eyesight!As for my […]