In case you didn’t know, my last day at work was 2 Fridays ago and boy, was I glad to start maternity leave. Full-time work with this “big babeh in ma belleh” was doing my back in…literally! Anyway, with all this “free time” on my hands, a few friends have been asking me what I have been doing…EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. They are either :-
a) Nosey – Curiosity killed the cat (#justsaying)
b) Concerned I might be bored – As if I would ever get bored of free “me” time!
c) Living vicariously through me while they slave away at work – Hello, I’m preggers…it’s not as if I’m gallivanting around Europe staying in 5 star luxury!
So for all you curious cats out there, these are the things I have been doing since maternity leave kicked off 2 weeks ago according to the photos taken on my iPhone 5 (otherwise it didn’t count :P) and please forgive me for the poor quality photos but I cannot lug my DSLR around with me at all times.
1. The Husband and I went to a wedding at Wattle Park Chapel where we were happy for the blessed couple, but we were even happier when we tucked into the yummy buffet lunch feast.
2. I had my Pink Baby Shower High Tea with my online girlfriends which you would have read about in my previous post. (Okay the photos are not from my iPhone but whatcha gonna do about it huh?)
3. The Husband pinned me down and squeezed my blackheads! It is one of his favourite pastimes because he doesn’t have any blackheads on his face so he always looks for mine! *nods head* Yes, we are a weird couple!
4. We ate out a lot because :-
a) We are too lazy to cook every day
b) Some of my salary goes into this “Entertainment Salary Packaging Card” to reduce the amount of taxes I pay…but the only way I can spend it is to eat at restaurants or stay at hotels
c) We know the chances of us eating out will be greatly reduced by the arrival of my Mum next week (she has worked in the food industry for umpteen years and she says most places are unhygienic), his Mum in 2 weeks (she thinks everything is fatty and unhealthy) and my baby girl in 4 weeks (screaming newborn babies at restaurants are a no-no!)
d) It’s like “dating” for us 😉
The places we have dined at since my maternity leave include : LuxBite, Roast Duck Inn, Fish Pier, Ikea, Yami Yami, Dessert Story, Quan 88, Meals At Jackson’s, Malaysian Kitchen…
5. I have been scratching my tummy till it bleeds!!! I have red raging inflamed stretch marks which itch like a bitch all day and night. And before anyone asks, I HAVE BEEN USING EVERY MOISTURISER / OIL / AILMENT under the sun (except for steroidal cream which I want to avoid). I showed it to my Doctor at my last Obstetrician appointment last week and all she said was “you need to moisturise” – gee, thanks for your
useless help!!! Anyway, I have diagnosed myself with the help of Dr Google and I suspect I have Polymorphic Eruption of Pregnancy (PEP) and I will be cured once I have delivered the baby. And there goes my chance of ever becoming a Victoria’s Secret supermodel!!! LOL!!!
6. We went around furniture shops looking for a nursing reclining rocking chair so I can get comfy when I breastfeed and hide my boobs from any prying eyes. I scoured the Mummy forums and Ikea Poang was a popular choice but I didn’t really like it. In the end, we found a relatively cheap one (under $500) at Furniture Galore in Springvale but the sales guy was the RUDEST man everrrrrr so I stormed out and refused to spend my hard-earned money there. We went to the Nunawading branch and the sales dude was nicer so we ordered the chair…only to pick it up yesterday and find that it was wonky!! Back it went and we’re still waiting 1.5 weeks later…
7. I bought some baby clothes finally! I’ve been putting that off for some bizarre reason but then I went a bit nuts at K-Mart, Target and Big W. Yes, they are all relatively el-cheapo places but babies grow so fast that I don’t see the point in buying them designer gear at such an early age. I am also trying to hunt down some sleeping bag type clothes like the Grobags and Swaddles, but have no idea which ones to get… Worry about that later 😛
8. I have a newfound love for baking! Carrot cake, banana bread and chocolate cake… And I even bought an 18 cm cake tin yesterday so that my cakes look better!! What is happening to me??
9. Meeting up with friends and catching up on goss. I do have a social life offline you know 😛
10. Eating lots of instant noodles for lunch. In my defence, I am trying to finish all the junk food, i.e. instant noodles, frozen fish balls and frozen dumplings, before my Mum arrives. She doesn’t like all this instant slash frozen food business so I am trying to save her from stress 😛
11. Speaking of frozen foods… I found a Connoisseur Gourmet Ice Cream (Murray Salted Caramel with Macadamia) hiding in the freezer which was the Husband’s stash of junk food. I can’t and shouldn’t eat ice cream due to my increased intolerance of lactose…but temptation got the better of me. After licking the ice cream till it was all gone, I discovered that all the licking made my tongue bleed! Sigh! And then the lactose-induced nausea came to haunt me… Double sigh!
12. Watching TVB Chinese series so that I can brush up on my Cantonese speaking skills and hopefully, Bunty will be a bilingual girl like yours truly. And before anyone asks, the Husband has limited Cantonese which is mish-mashed with Malaysian words so it just sounds…WRONG! (FYI – I do have other Cantonese-speaking Malaysian friends who speak Canto like a pro…so I’m not saying all Malaysians speak funny…just my Husband!)
13. I have also been doing a spot of decluttering. I managed to reduce my wardrobe by 5 items of clothing! Yay! That’s quite a lot for a hoarder like me. Also, stopped to have a laugh at the silly clothes my Mum brought over last year… Treggings anyone?
14. Chillaxing with scented candles whilst reading about baby sleeping techniques. This limited edition black scented candle from Airwick is pretty cool because it changes colour. I have yet to light the Glasshouse Fragrance one I got for my birthday though.
15. Other things with no photographic evidence such as blogging, surfing the internet, sleeping, pooping, taking photos, talking to my bump, praying, Christmas shopping, dropping my phone, drinking full fat Coca Cola…blah blah blah…
And that’s all folks!
Clearly I have not done enough maternity-related stuff… the nursery is still half-done… I don’t have a birth plan… I haven’t packed my hospital bags yet… I don’t even have a clue what my Husband’s workplace phone number is if I have to call him when my waters break… Mehh… whatever…! I’m just gonna go with the flow 🙂
Plenty of women complain that maternity leave is boring… Well, I aint complaining!!! At least, not yet…