I liken wearing a bra to brushing teeth. Being a dentist, I see many patients who think they know how to brush teeth correctly, but when I show them the proper way, they are flabbergasted. Same goes with bra-wearing. I thought I had been wearing a bra correctly for more than 15 years of my life, until one day whilst purchasing lingerie for my wedding, the bra fitter showed me the correct way to wear a bra and it changed the shape and the size of my boobs forever.
The Wrong Way To Wear A Bra
This is how I used to wear my bra. Clasp the back of the bra together under my boobs and then swivel it round to the back and pull up the straps. A quick 2-second job. Done! Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!
The Proper Way To Wear A Bra
Consult a professional bra fitter to find the right size for you. A lot of women out there are wearing the wrong bra sizes which can cause back pain or make you look like you have four breasts instead of two!
1. Hook the back of the bra together and position it appropriately at the back.
2. Lean forward at a 45º angle so that your breasts are brought forward.
3. Bring the straps up over your shoulders.
4. Still leaning forward, scoop your breasts up (one at a time with opposing hand) into the bra cup. Make sure you grab any “back fat” as it may not actually be back fat, but part of your boobage!
5. Stand upright and adjust your straps to a comfortable length where nothing is pinching too tight nor too loose.
Learning the correct way to wear a bra has made my breasts look better as they appear much plumper with a lifted effect. I was gobsmacked when I discovered this.
I remember passing on this vital piece of information to my 3 younger sisters…and guess what? They all looked at me in shock and said, “DUH!!! We knew that already!!” What??? Where was I when they learned the art of wearing the bra correctly?? And then they ALL laughed at me for clasping my bra at the front and then swivelling it to the back. You see, I learnt that from my Mum… They somehow possess the ability to clasp the bra at the back and do not need to clasp it at the front and then turn it to the back. Damn!
Anyway, did you know how to wear a bra correctly already or have I passed on a piece of life-transforming information to you today? Let me know in the comments. And if you enjoyed this post, I will be back with more beauty advice on breasts next week so stay tuned.