Before I declare my undying love for Modiva Professional 25mm Curling Iron, I want to say that I was sent this baby for review but I am not affiliated with this company and my opinions were not influenced – and yes, it is truly amazing!!! This clipless curling tong with a 25mm diameter barrel has transformed my everyday, straight hair to soft sexy waves – and the surprising thing is that I, Ms Clumsy (who can’t keep her eyes open for a photo as shown above), used the Modiva Professional 25mm Curling Iron on myself without any hiccups along the way.
Please note : If you don’t want to read all the words, then scroll down as I have uploaded a video with a short review (I am better at writing than I am at speaking) and a tutorial on how I created this Soft Curls look.
The box is black with pink lettering on the outside and vice versa inside. Gets a big YES from my eyes. There is a boo-boo on the outside with the wrong spelling for their website (movida instead of modiva) but I have been assured that this error has been noted and will be rectified for future stock.
- Pamphlet – warranty and instruction manual. Warranty is for 12 months and only valid in Australia. Instruction manual features general safety, cleaning and storage instructions. There are some styling tips on the different types of curls which can be achieved with this curling iron – I feel that it would be beneficial to include pictures with the description of these curls.
- Protective glove – one size fits all stretchy glove but it is slightly too big for my hands. Not heat-resistant (yes, I tested it out) but it does provide a barrier to prevent direct contact of a very hot curling iron. (Please do not be stupid like me and wear it on the same hand as you hold the iron – yes, I did that at first…and then realised that it didn’t make sense at all!)
- Curling iron (obviously!) with an Aussie power plug
Features Of The Curling Iron
- Black clipless barrel which is made from 100% solid tourmaline with ionic technology – this helps to seal and lock in moisture of hair and eliminates frizz
- Handle has a non-slip grip (which is handy for clumsy people like me)
- 360 degree swivel cord prevents tangling
- Heats to 210°C (read : very hot!!!)
- Professional salon grade model
- Types of curls which can be achieved with this iron are Soft Curls, Tight Curls, Body Wave Curls and Ribbon Curls.
My Opinions On Modiva Professional 25mm Curling Iron
I love it for this simple reason – I can create salon-looking curls by myself. It is really easy to use! Switch it on, put on glove to the appropriate hand (which is my left), brush and section hair, spritz heat protective spray all over hair and I’m ready to go. Wrap hair round curling iron (with gloved hand), wait 7-10 seconds and release. Et voilà! Beautiful curl achieved. (It goes without saying that you should have a mirror in front of you while curling your hair.)
There’s a steep learning curve to using this iron. It is a bit fiddly when you are doing your first few curls, but before you know it, you will develop a technique which works for you and your hair. You will instinctively know how much hair to wrap around the iron and how much time you need to wait. Depending on how fast you work and which type of curl you are going for and how long and thick your hair is, I find that you do need to spend a good twenty minutes curling your hair.
I suggest that newbies to curling irons should start off with doing Soft Curls or Body Wave Curls before moving on to the more technique-sensitive Tight Curls and Ribbon Curls.
Because the iron heats to 210ºC, the curls are long-lasting. Of course, they will slightly drop, but for longer-lasting hold, spritz hairspray all over after curling. My hair has been rebonded (i.e. permanently straightened) but this iron still worked wonders on my hair and I find that my curls last me for at least 2 days. (The reason I said 2 days is because I usually wash my hair every day otherwise my scalp gets the itch. I waited as long as I could but then I couldn’t stand my itchy scalp any more and I had to wash out my curls.)
Apparently, Modiva Professional 25mm Curling Iron is suitable for all lengths and thicknesses. My hair has just grown past my shoulder so I think it is a good length for curling. But if you have a pixie cut, then I really don’t think it would suit you… Correct me if I am wrong.
Some people may prefer to have an indicator to show when the curling iron is ready to use (like the GHD flashing red dot) but I am quite happy without it as I find flashing lights annoying after a few minutes. There isn’t a feature which allows you to select the temperature but again, it’s not something that bothers me because given the choice, I would pick the maximum temperature (which is normally 210-220ºC) to achieve quicker and longer-lasting curls.
I will say that I wish there was a storage pouch included with the curling iron. It would be so handy for travelling purposes and also for storage – instead of waiting for the iron to cool and then pack it away.
Modiva Professional 25mm Curling Iron has changed the life of my hair forever! Whenever I feel like glamming up for a night out, I can jazz up my hair with pretty curls in no time. Ribbon Curls look amazing with long hair so I have been massaging my hair in the shower in hope that it will grow faster. I definitely highly recommend this!
Head to http://www.modiva.com.au for more information and to purchase online.
RRP $89.95 - but The Best Beauty Blog readers can get a $30 discount by entering the special coupon code “Modiva” at checkout. This coupon code is valid till 31st August 2011 so it’s a bargain at $59.95!! (FYI – I don’t get commission or anything from any sales.)
If you do purchase one and blog about it, please link me because I want to see too!!
Oh and here’s a wee video I did – Modiva Professional 25mm Curling Iron : Short Review and Soft Curls Tutorial
P.S. According to my guy friends, I am doing something “dodgy” to the curling iron when I am doing the review. >_< it was unintentional…and only highlights that guys have only one thing on their minds!!!