June 2013 was a HUGE month for me… I was still suffering from all-day sickness but working full-time and trying to conceal my pregnancy at work. I was nervously counting the days till the CVS testing I had to undergo to confirm the viability of the pregnancy. I was crying with emotion when I saw our bubba leap up and down on the ultrasound at week 12…moments before the CVS needle injected into my placenta to extract fluids for the DNA testing. I was stressed off my nut waiting for the results, but also worried that the CVS could have harmed bubba (1 in 100 chance of miscarriage – DOUBLE the risk of amniocentesis). I was crying with joy and then vomiting from crying in the staff toilet because I received the fantastic news from our genetic counsellor at work…and then I had to go back to work and act all normal and cool when I was screaming with joy inside.
In amongst the crazy month of June, I received a surprise care package in the form of the LAUNCH BOX of the FIRST EVER Violet Box, the newest beauty box subscription in Australia…and I must say it was a fantastic temporary distraction from all the stress I was undergoing… I know I’m a month late, but let’s have a look inside to see the contents of the first Violet Box (but if you’ve already seen it on other beauty blogs, just pretend you don’t know and play along…)
Housed inside the black cardboard box is purple / violet tissue paper lining – a simple but smart nod to the Violet Box. I like the quirky little touches like that which is consistent with marketing and branding.
And you can see that it is crammed full of beauty goodies with 3 full-sized products, 2 deluxe samples and a wee perfume sample hidden inside the card…
After stripping away the cardboard packaging, we have my YAY or NAY first impressions of the products which are :-
– Avene Eau Thermale Gentle Gel Cleanser (50ml sample)
- YAY – I am happy because it is NOT the thermal spray sample which I have an abundance of…and never use!
– John Plunkett Glyco Peel (full size)
- YAY – a night-time exfoliator with 25% glycolic acid – what’s not to like?? Being a seasoned beauty blogger, there are key active ingredients I look for in awesome skincare products and “glycolic acid” is one of them! But before you ask, I haven’t tried it YET…
– Lash Control ClearCoat Mascara and Brow-Fix (full size)
- Another YAY – I already like the sound of this multi-tasking product
– CK One Gloss Eyecolor in 600 Spin (full size)
- My 4th YAY! I have been dying to try CK One products since they re-launched last year, but was too stingy to spend my $ on them when I saw the range in Myer and the lure of spending my hard-earned $ on other beauty brands (hello YSL!) got to me instead. So I am extremely delighted to see this gold eye shadow pencil in the Violet Box! It is probably my favourite product out of them all.
– Argania Hair Oil (5ml sample)
- YAY-ish – I am not too fussed about this certified organic argan oil sample. I mean it’s good to have if I am away for weekend travels…oh wait…maybe I can pack this in my hospital bag when I give birth? A
girl’sMummy’s gotta look good for her newborn bubba! 😛 (Are you sick of me talking about my pregnancy yet? :P)
– Calvin Klein Sheer Beauty EDP Spray (1.2ml sample)
- NAY – Once upon a time I was a fan of these wee perfume samples which were perfect for my young clubbing days when I would pop it in my clutch bag and spray some on when I started to sweat a lot from dancing the night away. Nowadays, forget including wee perfume samples in my handbag because I don’t go clubbing anymore and if I stink, I stink. Just don’t hug me if you see me in the streets because I can REALLY stink 😛
There were also leaflets with promotions and discount codes inside the Violet Box, but I just tossed these leaflets aside because I was too lazy to read them 😉
Before the Violet Box, I was TOTALLY over beauty boxes as none of them bowled me over…but I am genuinely impressed with the Violet Box launch box as there are a number of products there that have tickled my fancy…but I am still on the fence of whether I would be willing to pay the monthly subscription fee of $22.95… I have to see what is inside the next few Violet Boxes* before I have a final verdict 😉
The element of surprise often hypes up my expectations…and with instant social media these days (Twitter and Instagram), there are plenty of spoilers floating around so by the time the Postman delivers the beauty box, it is not fun anymore! Do you agree? Are you a beauty box fan?
* Interesting!!! As I was typing up this blog post, I received a tracking email from AusPost saying that my Violet Box is ready for dispatch… So it looks like I am going to get the second Violet Box… COOL! If you would like me to review the July Violet Box, please leave me a comment…otherwise I will do a quickie look at what’s inside the box on my social media outlets so stalk me there 🙂